Sunday, January 26, 2014

Journal Post #2 Chapter 2: Understanding Educational Technology Issues and Trends

Focus Question: How can teachers more closely connect learning to the experiences of the digital natives who are heir students?

When deciding what technology and how much in a classroom, it is important to understand the ages and needs of the students.  As I have learned in some of my other classes, and through my own personal experiences in school, students learn differently.  Some will be more visual from day one of Kindergarten.  Some students will learn best from reading and some are listeners.  I don't think there is any right or wrong amount of technology (as long as you are not taking yourself out & ONLY using technology).  I believe it's more about being perceptive of your current students needs, as this may change from year to year, and adapting accordingly.  Small groups also allow for students to be grouped together who learn in similar manners so they can relate better to the material being taught.  personally, I like using some technology and it helps with time management so more can be allocated to the students for learning. 


Tech Tool 2.1: What roles does technology play in the lives of students and teachers?
As a mother of three children I have learned to adapt to new technology and, since I am so busy with them, school and full-time employment, I also realize the benefits of all the Apps available.  I currently have a iPhone and have a lot of Apps that make my life easier.  With limited time, Apps that allow me to do my banking, check weather, places near-by to eat, newspapers and maps along with myriads of others makes my busy life actually doable!  There are lots for entertainment and fun too.  Sports fans can check scores or even play their Fantasy sports teams from anywhere.  I actually play Fantasy Football and love my App on my phone to access it anytime.

I grew up without cell phones and barely used a computer in my last 2 years of high school, so I know that all this stuff was done before all the technology, but the new technology has allowed us to do it quicker and more efficient.  I believe that with technology being at the front of most of kids lives today, it is imperative that all the adults around them know how to use it too.

I can't wait to show my oldest son The Elements and 3D Sun Apps because he really loves Science....and Technology.  It will be a great way for him to interact with the information he is learning.

My favorite App is iHeart Radio because I use it all the time and can listen to any type of music at the touch of my finger. Whatever mood I am in...80's, Country, Rock or some good Oldies, I can access it in seconds.



What's your favorite App?


Summary of Chapter 2

Chapter 2 discussed several different issues including the difference in some school in the amount of technology they use, resistance teachers may come across in wanting to use it more and deciding what type of teacher we may want to be.

I am new to learning about the teaching profession.  I have several friends who are teachers and they are all very different.  Some are in different states and some even teach at private schools.  The differences in what the schools allow and expects is astounding, as is the attitudes in the teachers themselves.  Some of them have just given up totally because they feel that fighting an administration that will not seem to change with the times is just not worth it anymore.  Some are so scared of technology they will not utilize all the wonderful opportunities and tools the school offers them.  Other teachers have fought (some wins and some losses) for years to make the schools move forward with the increasing technology usage.

I plan to be one of those teachers who will utilize all that is available to me to benefit my students the most.  I will take every class and seminar I can to sharpen every skill.  I want to pay attention and fight (in a respectful and appropriate way) for what my STUDENTS need.  Isn't that why we should become teachers?  The students we are teaching are depending on on, but here is another important reason....Those students will be running our country, finding new cures and deciding our fates in many other areas.  I don't know about others, but I want the students I teach to be as prepared as possible to handle anything that may come for their benefit, for ours and for many generations to come.

Why become a teacher?  Everyone needs to really think about this before deciding to make it a career. 



 
 

Resources:

Textbook - Maloy, Robert, Verock-O’Loughlin,Ruth-Ellen, Edwards, Sharon A., and Woolf, Beverly Park (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

YouTube, Published on May 10, 2013, Top Ten Reasons I've Decided To Become a Teacher" as presented by ten new teachers from "Teach For America.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for really personalizing this post - it is just what the 'assignment' was designed for students to do! :) And, it is right there with your observations about the variety of needs of both students and teachers! Ultimately all that we do as teachers should really be about our students - and not only are they different (which should be honored), but they change from year to year, so there is no 'magic bullet'. The neat thing about technology is that it can really allow for the diversity....now if we can just convince the 'bureacracy'! ;) Keep using those apps and watching what your children do with technology...as they will be the leaders of our future (as you also pointed out!).

    ReplyDelete